Setting up iPad for Daughter

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ricksen24, Jan 15, 2017.

1. ricksen24 macrumors member

Hello everyone

Looking for some help setting up my 6 year old daughters iPad.

What I want is for her iPad to be hers and for my other apple devices to be mine iv set her up a kids I'd which is linked to mines but she still gets some of my things for example she has all of my contacts in the message app.

Is it possible for her to have her device "stand alone" ?

Is making her a proper log in with a hotmail addy the best option?

Can't hav her messaging work people by accident etc.

2. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

Not sure if I'm correct, but first give her , her own Apple ID. This will make it her personal iPad. Then for the other information that you want her to get, just use hand off. This way you can let her have some information from your phone or iPad, but not anything business related. If I'm wrong, I'm sure others will chime in.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

4. blaine07 macrumors 68000

Don't forget the power of "restrictions" as well. It can be very useful to allow her to not do or use certain things.

5. RedOrchestra Suspended

That allows for total "freedom" for your daughter AND total lockdown for your peace of mind.

6. blaine07 macrumors 68000

Apple really should integrate a "parental control" into Apple devices. So that parents could set time limits or get a glimpse of screen, turn certain apps on and off on a whim or dependent on time. Apple could do SO much more in this area. When I came from Android I was surprised to see App Store had no truly functional parental control apps. iOS is locked down but if Apple won't allow it they need to build it.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Definitely her own Apple ID. That way she won't get your contacts or text messages. As long as you set it to require a password prior to installing any app - including free ones - she won't be able to install anything without your approval.

8. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

If you toggle on 'restrictions' (and set a passcode only you know) you can disable iTunes and the AppStore- downloading- deleting- app purchases- . Doing this will then afford you the hassle of setting up her own Apple ID. It simply wouldn't be necessary then.

9. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

As I have done exactly what you are doing twice, once for each of my now six- and nine-year-old daughters, the above is all correct.

Apple allows you to create child Apple IDs, which are dependent on the associated parent Apple ID (you) for everything.

As said above, use restrictions to allow and prevent whatever you choose.

If you have any further or more specific questions, please reply and I will answer.

10. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

This is only possible if you have a credit card on your account. Debit cards won't work. I don't have credit cards so I created my kids their own Apple IDs for iMessage and FaceTime but the device is logged in my account for iCloud so I can utilize the Find My iPhone feature. I also set them up so that free apps can be downloaded without a password but purchases require a password.

11. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

This is true. Good info.

12. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

I use a Visa debit card (bank card) and it works fine. Is that what you mean about credit card?

13. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

As soon as you create her AppleID, turn on "family sharing".
    Then you can share apps w/ her as you wish & she can't get anything without your permission.

14. 960design macrumors 68030

It's all there, just not organized under a single heading... maybe named: Parental Controls.

Kinda like Apple doesn't let kids play with iPads at the office before releasing iOS updates. Seems like that would be the first thing I did.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 18, 2017 ---
    Seems like you have it figured out, just double checking with us. Create an AppleID for her. Then enable Family Sharing. You can still control purchases and 'share' games, movies, ect with her account.

I would just give her an iCloud account. Seems a little less likely to be spammed than hotmail.

15. blaine07 macrumors 68000

@960design kids are the BEST testers haha. If it can be broke; they'll figure it out.

16. millydog macrumors regular

millydog

It sounds like you set her account up well, but you say that she still has your contacts in her iPad. Did you erase all content and settings before signing into her account? If you just signed out of your ID and signed into hers, then you can still have some of your information in her iPad.