iPad mini Setting up iPad for mom...need to add pics

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NYRangers11, Apr 16, 2014.

1. NYRangers11 macrumors member

Hi i bought an iPad mini for my mom as a gift and wanted to setup it up for her using my own computer. This is gonna be a surprise and I wanted to add pics/videos and other stuff to it.

Whats the best way to do it? Im not gonna log into my own iTunes account and get apps because I think that limited my iTunes account to that particular unit.

But pics and videos I think I can still do. Whats the best way to add pics without the iTunes sync? is there a way to drag and drop ?

I know videos is easier.

Will she have any problems when she connects it to her computer?

2. Night Spring, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For videos, set iPad to manually manage media, then drag and drop. Provided that the videos are in iTunes compatible format, of course.

For pics, I think the easiest way is to set up iCloud photo sharing. Let me think for a bit about how to explain this... I'll be back!

EDIT: ok, I found these pages at Apple that explains it. So what you do is create a shared stream, invite your Mom, then you go to her iPad and accept the invite. Then you add pictures to that stream from your iPad / iPhone or your computer. If you are on Windows, you need to install iCloud sync first. Let me know if you run into any problems.

https://www.apple.com/icloud/icloud-photo-sharing.html
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5902

3. NYRangers11 thread starter macrumors member

Geez iCloud photo sharing sounds too complicated. I just want to click and drag. Tried a program like iExplorer but it looks like you can only take things off the iPad and not put them on. Still looking into it.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's a bit of a work to set it up for the first time, but the neat thing is once it is set up, you can easily add more pics anytime you want.

I'm afraid there isn't a way to drag and drop photos to the iPad, though. You'd need to sync. Which might be okay if your Mom wouldn't be syncing her iPad to any other computer.

5. NYRangers11 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the idea. I think I will use this in the future as I will add more pics of her grandson on there as he gets older and just add to the stream.

Gonna research some more if its possible in any other way.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I rather think in the time you do more research, you could set up a shared stream. :p

iPad is geared toward getting things on there via the cloud, you need to let go of the idea that drag and drop is the way to do things. As it is, I hardly ever connect my iPad to the computer anymore. I mostly just stick things into Dropbox and OneDrive, and they are accessible from my iPad.

7. NYRangers11 thread starter macrumors member

I realize photo stream I would need to add pictures to iPhoto. Most of the pics i want to add are on a external HD. I don't have any pics in iPhoto. This is where a simple drag and drop would do wonders instead of copying to HD then uploading and then downloading.

8. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Set up her own Apple ID, then just email the photos to her iPad and download them. That's how I usually send pictures to my own iPad.

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I used Google Drive to get pictures from my Mac to my mom's Nexus 7. I basically set it up so that she was allowed to access it and showed her how to download the picutres. It was pretty easy.

10. NYRangers11 thread starter macrumors member

All good ideas. But i had to transfer about 4 gigs worth.I ended up putting it on my Mac and just syncing that folder.

Hope they don't get erased if she ever connects it to her computer.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Don't hope. Guarantee that your Mom has a backup copy of the pictures by giving them to her on an USB stick or external drive. iPads can get lost, stolen or damaged. The copy of your media on the iPad should never be your only copy.