Setting up iPad for University

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rctlr, Apr 30, 2014.

1. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

My daughter is off to University in September and as she does everything on her iPad Mini:

Will the lightning to Display Adapter (VGA/DVi/HDMI), and a Bluetooth Keyboard work together?

Its for mirroring iPad screen onto larger screen, to see written work, writing documents with Pages and Keynote and watching things with YouTube and Netflix.

Your thoughts?

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Seems like a lot of hassle when macbook airs just dropped in price. Have you thought about getting her that for productivity work and then the ipad can be used for books/notes? I believe the 11 inch base air is 825 with the education discount.

3. rctlr thread starter macrumors 6502a

rctlr

Solved.

She will be happy in carrying more and more when she does 95% of everything on her iPad mini and iPhone 5c. She's an art student, so writing will be quite minimal.

I went to the local Apple store and conducted an experiment.
    Wireless keyboard attached via bluetooth and lightning to hdmi adapter connected to a TV.
    I was able to use notes and safari, and use the keyboard, all through my iPad4 to the TV. I could start up netflix, search by typing into the search bar using keyboard, and viewing without issue.

I will mark this Solved.

4. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Why wouldn't you be able to do these things at the same time?

5. rctlr thread starter macrumors 6502a

rctlr

I just wanted to be sure, and wondered if anyone else uses their iPad the same way.

6. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

Tablets aren't meant to be full laptop replacements. I use my iPad 4 to take basic notes in class with a bluetooth keyboard case. Now that I have a Retina Mini? I honestly think I will do the same, but nothing beats have the bigger display, more processing power, versatility. If pricing is an issue, just get her a PC. What if her Arts classes use a CD/DVD companion with a textbook or something like that? iPads don't have a CD/DVD drive.

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You don't go to university just to make art, you go to learn about it and its history. If you think there's not going to be a lot of writing being done, you are hugely mistaken.

Don't forget that she probably is going to take other non-art related classes too. Like literature and math.

You should really look into the MacBook Air as mentioned. You don't have the time to be messing with Bluetooth paring and connectors in a classroom setting.

8. rctlr thread starter macrumors 6502a

rctlr

9. MyiBill macrumors 6502

Your right there's really not much writing to be done. All I've heard is there is so much writing and reading in college. Well I've been there for 3 years and have only written a handful of papers. The ipad would do fine, possible maybe think about a chromebook but the ipad should suffice.

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

Depends on the program. Engineering does not require much writing in undergraduate, Master's and PhD is a different story. A&S' requires a good amount, especially since Expos I and II are a must at most accredited colleges.

To the OP: the iPad will be extremely useful in reading books/notes/PPTs and annotating them (if you have right apps) for a good learning experience. However, I do not feel that the iPad alone will get any student through college.