Setting up iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by o.neill.kid, Aug 22, 2010.

1. o.neill.kid macrumors member

Hi sorry I know this is probably an easy question but I was just wonder. I am getting my iPad tomorrow and know that you can't use it until you connect it to your computer/iTunes. I was just wondering if this process requires an internet connection, or can you do it without a internet connection?

2. celticpride678

If it's a Wi-Fi only iPad, then you won't need an Internet connection. However, if you'd like to update the software on it, you'll need an Internet connection.

If it's a 3G iPad, you'll need to activate it, requiring an Internet connection.

3. o.neill.kid thread starter macrumors member

Ah to bad, I am getting the 3G one. Just wanted to play with it as soon as possibly but I have to go out of town to get it so I can't until I get home :/

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That's not true, activation process is the same for 3G as for wifi only model. (Once a 3G iPad is activated, you can sign up for 3G service without any internet connection) Unfortunately, I can't say if internet is required or not, because my computer is always connected to the internet, so when I activated my ipads, I was connected to Internet. But if a wifi only iPad can be activated without Internet, then so can the 3G. In any case, if you are getting your iPad from an apple store, you can ask them to activate it for you in-store.

5. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

Yes, in the Apple store they can start you up with the basics.