setting up iPhone 4S with iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dronomophone, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Dronomophone macrumors regular

Has it been made clear whether you can setup the phone the way it has been in the past or do you have to do it on the phone itself? If I set it up right away out of the box, will I be able to load everything from an iTunes backup of my 3GS later?

2. TaterToT macrumors 6502

Yes you can plug it into iTunes right out of the box and restore it from your backup

3. iBram15 macrumors member

iBram15

Do you need a sim card to use your iPhone for the first time? And the same thing for Internet? When I will get it, I will not be near any place with Wifi, so I will have to wait.

4. Nioxic macrumors regular

ive seen (in an apple video) that it doesnt need any pc at all.. and since its able to go on internet through 3G i guess you dont need internet connection either?

5. TaterToT macrumors 6502

You need to be connected to Wifi if you're setting it up through just the phone, if you're setting it up through your computer it obviously needs to be connected to Wifi. And yes, you need the sim card.

6. iBram15 macrumors member

iBram15

OK thanks, So I think I'll just have to wait I get home.
    I hope I will succeed to cut my Sim into a micro Sim, or else I have to buy a new one what could take another week! :rolleyes:

7. TaterToT macrumors 6502

They send you a Micro Sim so no need to do that, unless you used someone else's upgrade

8. iBram15 macrumors member

iBram15

Even when you get an unlocked one from France?

9. Krandor macrumors 6502

If you load iOS5 on your 3GS and do an iCould backup you should then be able to active and restore right from your phone with no PC needed. if your backup is on your PC then you will need to connect to iTunes to restore.

During the setup process on the phone, you will get an option to "setup as new" "restore from iCloud" "restore from iTunes". if you do restore from iTunes at that point you have to plug it into USB.