setting up iphone on a new computer.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by IRLS, Jan 13, 2011.

1. IRLS macrumors newbie

i got a new computer recently and have yet to set up my iphone 4 on my new computer. I was told to simply copy the itunes folder from my old computer to my new computer. However on my old computer i never synced my apps to itunes. How can i ensure that i will not lose any data when i plug in my iphone 4 on my new computer? including app data?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Authorize your iTunes account.
    Plug in your phone and right click on the iPhone icon in the left pane of iTunes and backup the phone.
    Right click and select transfer purchases.

3. IRLS thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up losing all of the saved data linked to my apps doing that.

4. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Restore from your old backup (from the iTunes folder) to get it all back.

5. IRLS thread starter macrumors newbie

That option says "This will only restore the contacts, calendars, notes, text messages and settings."

It doesn't say anything about apps?

6. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hmm, I've never seen that message before. If you are able to do so without losing anything new, restore the iPhone entirely so that it is empty. When iTunes gives you the choice to "Set up as a new iPhone" or "Restore from backup", select the second option and use your previous backup.

7. IRLS thread starter macrumors newbie

alright, doing it right now.

8. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Great, good luck! Remember to allow it time to sync all of your applications back over once it restarts.

9. IRLS thread starter macrumors newbie

Well apparantly my back up had no apps on it? So when I finished everything, everything was gone once again, aside from my photos, settings, contacts and all that other stuff.

Is my app data gone for good?

10. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

I'm afraid that may be the case. Although, the backup you made after transferring purchases should have included the app data?

11. IRLS thread starter macrumors newbie

turns out the data did make it through :) I just assumed the data was gone because I went through the same process of syncing the apps last time and the app data was all gone. I just checked and my progress and information in all of my apps are back to how they used to be. Thanks for your help :)

12. -aggie-, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

-aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Next time believe what I say. It was assumed you'd know you had to restore from the backup. Where else would you get the app data?

You might want to copy your backup to a safe place, so you'll always have it, in case it gets overwritten. The backup is no longer incremental, which a lot of people find out after a disaster.