Setting up iPod to play music through iMac's speakers.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mitchmiteb, Apr 5, 2008.

1. mitchmiteb macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums but I need your help.
    I just bought a dock for my iPod and I wanted to connect the iPod to the iMac's internal speakers. And well i've tried nearly all I can think of. I went into the audio MIDI setup to get the sound playing on the imac's speakers. But in audio MIDI setup preferences the box labeled thru is grayed out. Is there anyway to un-gray this box? By the way I'm running OS X Leopard, latest version.

I also included a screenshot of what the audio MIDI setup does, to make what I'm saying clearer.

Attached Files:

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You can do this through iTunes quite easily. Plug the iPod in and it should appear in the left hand column in iTunes. Select the iPod and expand it so that it shows the playlists etc. that are on your iPod then you can select the playlist you want etc and browse it just like normal in iTunes and play the songs from there.

I believe for this to work you have to have you iPod setup to manually manage your music but from your problem I imagine that is how you have your iPod setup anyway.

3. mitchmiteb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying. Yea I know you can use iTunes to listen to the music on the iPod itself through iTunes, but I wanted to listen to the music straight from the iPod without using iTunes. So that I could see what's playing while in a fullscreen application or game. It's just figuring out how to get the audio input settings configured correctly.