Setting up iPod touch (iOS4 and 5)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Invincibilizer, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Planning on purchasing an iPod touch.

If the 4G ipod touch still contains iOS4, I would have to plug the iPod in to itunes and follow directions to set it up?

If the 4G ipod touch comes with iOS5, I would be able to set it up without iTunes? And add music and purchase apps at a later time?

Dumb question but why is iOS5 not requiring iTunes to set up iPod touch where as all other previous devices needed iTunes to set up. Wouldn't people have to go back and transfer music from iTunes anyways. Is there a real benefit to setting up an iPod touch without iTunes.

2. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502

3. Invincibilizer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

All white ones should, not all black ones though.

Just saw a youtube video that involved a person buying an iPod touch(Black) after Oct 12 BUT it came with 4.3.5.

And I still haven't decided on white or black yet :apple:

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

iPods still in the distribution channel before IOS5 was released will still contain the older versions. Apple doesn't open the boxes and upgrade the software.

5. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

That would remove all the fun of opening it yourself if they did that.

Thank gosh they don't! :)

----------

I assume you do not keep up with the Tech News. If iOS 5 is preinstalled on the Device, the iPod does not require iTunes after that point because the device can setup itself once turned out. It's similar to how a Mac boots up the first time and goes through the setup with you. As well, iOS 5 brings the capability to WiFi Sync and have OTA (Over the Air) Updates.

This means that you can sync wirelessly with ITunes to push content to your device. As well, when there is a software update, the iPod Touch can wirelessly download it and install.