Setting up iTunes on a external hardrive?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple-NoEscape, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

So I'm sick of losing all my music etc every time I need to sync my phone to a new computer, which btw is alot.
    So I was wondering is it possible to set up my iTunes on my 1tb HD and just plug that into the new computer and have my phone automatically sync to that, and by that I mean to the external hardrive that is plugged into the new computer, without any complications?

I'm guesing not as this is apple we are talking about, but still....

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes. Same thing with me, including losing the authorizations. I have my iTunes library set up on a second drive in my system so that I can ravage the OS drive. No reason why it couldn't be removable.

3. Apple-NoEscape thread starter macrumors 6502

Gives me a bit of hope, just I imagine an external and internal drive are read differently by a computer.

4. Apple-NoEscape thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I looked it up on google and it seems you can move your music onto the external without any problems, but that ovbioulsy isn't what I wanted.

On a side note is there a way to stop your music/movies etc getting deleted when plugged into a new computer? I have heard of dropbox or something, does that save your files?

5. irich25 macrumors regular

umm... your music isn't exactly tied to itunes

you can just save your mp3 to your external harddrive

in itunes go to preferences > advanced >
    uncheck keep itunes in media folder
    uncheck copy files to itune

and also when you change computer or w/e just drag and drop the music into itunes

6. Apple-NoEscape thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem is; right now all I have is my phone, no iTunes backup etc.
    So the minute I try to set up iTunes I will lose all of my music on my phone.
    I'm trying to find a way around that and a way to prevent it in the future.

7. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

You should be able to move your entire iTunes library to the HD and then in iTunes chnge the file path that iTunes looks in for your media to the HD and done.

I used to do it when I first had a small pc, but now have a laptop with a large enough HD that I can store on.

Just make sure you are plugged in to the HD before opening iTunes when you want to sync.