Setting up iTunes on External HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by msw123307, Apr 11, 2010.

1. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I have read numerous threads, and can't figure it out. There was a huge post on iLounge, but it didn't seem to work for my situation.

I just had to wipe my Macbook, and install Snow Leopard. It is my main computer now and I need to run my itunes off of an external drive. The library is bigger than the HD - so I copied the "iTunes Music" folder to the external drive.

I now have a brand new clean install of snow leopard, and the itunes music folder with all my media on an external drive. What is the next step for this specific situation? Do I need to change the location of the database file and hit "consolidate"? I read somewhere that it wouldn't work like that. I'm just trying to make this transition as smooth as possible...going forward the external should be plugged in pretty much all the time.

2. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah but that only works if your iTunes library exists in an original location, and you want to move it elsewhere. in my situation the itunes library was already on the external drive where I wanted it to end up. I transferred it from an iMac.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Oh, I'm sorry; I misread your post. Just hold option as you start iTunes and it will prompt you to select the location of your new library.

4. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh really? That would be awesome if that's all I have to do. I'll have to try that once I'm at the computer later.

I know it was probably confusing - but I have already relocated the entire iTunes folder to the location where I want it to end up (Firewire Drive).

Last night I tried moving the library to a decoy HD and then following the steps to move it back to the Firewire Drive..and it copied the library to the location, but it didn't copy my play counts, etc.

But it sounds like you're saying if I have the library on the FW drive, which I do, and I want it there - just hold down the option and select it it should do all the work for me? Are there any other files I need? Do I have to select this every time I start iTunes or will it automatically change the directory?

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's right.

No.

It will automatically update.

6. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice I'm going to try this out, couldn't find the info online, thanks for your help.

7. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

well it seemed to work - and quickly at that! I guess iPhoto can work the same way too. The only thing it didn't restore was my mobile apps, which I restored by opening one in finder. And it didn't have any devices in the preferences..however when I plugged in my phone it sync'd like normal.

8. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Just remember if your stuff only exists on your external it's NOT backed up.

I'd suggest getting another external and cloning your 1st external to it using something like carbon copy cloner or disk utility.