Setting up mac and Pc together

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jspen15156, Sep 8, 2008.

1. jspen15156 macrumors newbie

i have looked at several posts and several sites on hooking a mac and pc together using ethernet cable when trying to access the pc from the mac it says couldn't read some of the data then when trying to access the mac from the pc by going to run typing in \\ipaddress\name like i have seen on many posts it finds it and asks for the password i type in the password but it says its incorrect why is it telling me its incorrect also why does it not work when i have my airport card turned on any help would be appreciated

2. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    whew! take a breath!

my guess is your airport card is set as the primary network connection, so i would first try turning it off and then trying again to connect.

3. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Need some more info. What are you trying to do exactly and why do you need access to the PC. What version of the respective OS re you running? And what kind of wireless router are you using, since you said something about airport?

4. jspen15156 thread starter macrumors newbie

to be able to transfer audio files back and forth i have a home studio and i use some programs that are pc and so i send them to the pc fix it and then send it back to the mac to put into my recording program or what ever program im using at the time what i have been doing is burning it to cd but im tired of doing that and thought i would just hook them up to each other with a ethernet cable my pc is running windows 98 and the mac is running os x 10.4 tiger since this computer doesn't have a wireless card in it i couldn't use it with my wireless router like i do with my other computers when trying to access the pc from the mac it says couldn't read some of the data cancel then when trying to access the mac from the pc by going to run typing in \\ipaddress\name it asks for the password but says my password is incorrect all i was saying about the airport card is it wont find the mac when it is turned on so i have to turn it off for the pc to find the mac and was also wondering why i have to turn off the airport for the pc to find the mac if you could tell me of an easier way to do this please let me know thanks

5. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    hey, i'm not trying to be nit picky, since this is an online forum, but it would really help me comprehend what you're writing if you'd put periods and other end marks. thanks! :D

Also, I don't think it will work to connect from Windows 98 since Win98 doesn't support connecting to any network sharepoint (PC or Mac) that has a different username or password than its currently-in-use account.

To connect from the PC, try creating an account with the exact same credentials as used on your PC (i.e. user name/password).

6. jspen15156 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes the pc and mac have the same user name and password.

7. jspen15156 thread starter macrumors newbie

i finally got the mac to access the pc. but only when the airport card is turned off. does anybody know how to be able to access the pc through ethernet with the airport still on, so i dont lose my internet connection on the mac. as to the pc. its still saying the password is incorrect. which i dont know how it can be. the pc and mac have the same password. any help would be appreciated.