Setting up Mac as a remote server, NOT a local home server

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jdl8422, Mar 19, 2009.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I have a mac pro that I use at home. I want to set it up as a server. Like a hosting server that I can log on to anywhere in the world, not just on my local network. I want to set it up similar to a hosting account through someone like godaddy. Where I can log in using FTP or something else. Do I need to install Mac OS X server? I've tried searching but I keep find local home servers. Anyone got any ideas? I'm guessing the first thing I need is a static IP, where do I get that? Thanks

2. derekjd macrumors member

No you don't need server. Take a look at dyndns if you don't want to buy a static IP from your ISP. Check with your ISP to see if you can run a server without penalties, like termination of service. You can turn on apache (web server) through sharing along with other useful stuff. Finally look at web administration utilities for apache if you want to change and goodies and become familiar with the apache configurations file.

Derek

3. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

jdl8422

Will I have access to all the drives and folders on the computer or just a specific folder set up for sharing? Thanks

4. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

you will have full access. (if you ssh)

5. derekjd macrumors member

Really depends how you set everything up and what protocols you use. What exactly aer you looking to do? (hosting, sharing, ftp, ssh)

Derek