Setting up @Mac.com email address no longer possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M. Malone, Dec 25, 2010.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to setup my MobileMe account on my iPhone 4.

The problem is that it seems to force to only have the @Me.com account.

I don't want to use @Me as I have @Mac.com.

Do I no longer have a choice?

Thank you,

2. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

ok I found a solution:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3570?viewlocale=en_US

Basically I have to do it through the Mac. This is getting pathetic.

Every update that comes up from Apple, it gets harder and harder to use my .Mac account. They add obstacles to make you just give up and use the newer @Me account.

Way to treat old loyal customers who want to keep the @Mac address

3. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I've honestly never understood Apple's desire to move people from a mac.com address to a me.com address... Is it that they think people receiving mail from that address will somehow think the sender is affiliated with Apple? No clue.
    But I've never liked the me.com address. People sometimes ask me, "Is that really your address?" Just a short Christmas morning semi-rant!;)

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They take my .Mac address away from me and I'll sue. It's part of my identity. :D

5. pclaro macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I have dot.mac account since it started.
    I find quite absurd the name "me.com". I expect Apple to change it. I further expect Apple fixes MobileMe that is a total disaster.
    I agree with "rdowns" that the molestors should be sued.
    CHILE

6. JASApplications macrumors 65816

I have a @me.com email address and it totally pisses me off. It's so un-professional. For some reason I feel @Mac.com is like really high-end and business like!

7. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

For me at least, if something gets sent to myself@mac.com, it winds up in my mailbox at the same time as something sent to myself@me.com. So, I can still use the mac.com address.
    Now admittedly, I've had Mobile Me since it was started as whatever the heck they used to call it, so I don't know if that works just because I am a 'legacy' account!
    But give it a try and see what happens and let us know.

8. exemos macrumors member

If I recently got a MobileMe account can I still use the @mac.com? At the moment it'll only recognize @me. Is there anyway to switch?

9. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Have you tried whateveryournameis@mac.com? I think that is what we are trying to figure out.
    For me it works because I have an older account that was originally a mac.com address. What I don't know is whether it works for new accounts.

10. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

I joined with a @me.com account. Just tried to send a message to the equivalent @Mac.com - doesn't work.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It only works for those who joined before it changed to MobileMe.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Funny because I was thinking about this very subject the other day. I've been around long enough to have the @mac.com address and Apple is trying to get me using the @me.com address through default changes and updates just like the rest of you.

The reason I want my @mac.com address and not the @me.com is because I feel as though the @me.com is too narcissistic. Does anyone else feel this way. As another person already stated, the @mac.com sounds more professional.

I don't mind the changed name of the service from .mac to MobileMe, but please let us keep the @mac.com addresses.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Have to say, I also find the @me.com to be rather silly. Glad I signed up when it was still @mac.com.

14. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

I had an account back when iTools was free, and email too. And it was @mac.com (which I bought after they began charging for it!) But then I let my subscription slide for a few years before i wanted it back. I was upset they had changed the domain to me.com and locked new signups out of the mac.com domain.

Me.com does sound silly. I wish I could go back to @mac.com

But it makes you wonder if Apple was envisioning a time in the near future when the OS will no longer be referred to as "mac".

15. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

You do realize you can sign up for Google Apps and for $10 a year you can make the domain whatever you like. Calendar and contact syncing all works very well. Now that Find my iPhone is free the only thing you are missing is the cloud storage, which you can get from Dropbox.

16. JASApplications macrumors 65816

I know however I have MobileMe which I use for my iWeb site so I might as well use the email that is also thrown in.

17. Max. macrumors member

Max.

How do you verify new @Mac accounts? Or do the Free accounts not have access to the email etc. I can't register it with 'Find My iPhone' even though I verified it alongside a Yahoo! account.

18. emillion.k macrumors newbie

My brand new me account

It seems a little late to drop into the middle of the conversation, but why not give it a go...
    The solutions page linked to at the very top of the page suggests people to update their phones, erase the mail account and setting it up again.
    I just wanted to let people know, that, in my experience at least, it's total BS.
    Besides from the obvious fact, that we're now well into the fifth generation of the operative system, I tried before mentioned trick seven times and yet my mail account won't work.
    It appears to me that the X@me address that is now tied in with my X@mac account (and has the same name, which is preferable), but whatever do, it still seems like MobileMe thinks it's supposed to send the E-mail from a mail account bearing the Mac surname instead of the Me. In doing so, the mail server won't recognize me and nothing gets sent.
    Nice going, Apple...

19. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

A little late? You bumped a 13 month old thread

Congrats on find ways to increase the post count

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, I guess the problem still exists!

heh