Setting up Mac - User Accounts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Manchester, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Manchester macrumors member

Hiya, I'm extreemly new to Mac's, but as I'm the only user of mine, I just have the admin account set up.

However, my old fella bought a Mac the other day to replace his windows pc, so, how do I set it up so that both my Mam and Dad can have separate accounts?

When the lid is closed on a MacBook Pro, can it be set up to ask which account you wish to log into? And can both Accounts be used without logging out, similar to windows "switch user"?

And lastly, when installing MS Office, am I best to install this prior to setting up accounts? As I'd want all apps / folder and icons available on both of their accounts.

Really sorry for these newb questions, as I've no doubt it's all too obvious, but thought I'd rather ask prior to setting it up for them.

2. iStudentUK, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Setting up new users is easy- just go to system preferences -> accounts and press the little plus button in the bottom left.

Fast user switching can be useful, which Apple describes here.

Applications like MS Office can be installed by one user but used by another with no issue. It should just appear in the applications folder as normal and be visible on all user accounts.

3. Manchester thread starter macrumors member

See, I was right, easy :)

Thanks pal.