Setting up Macbook and Samsung Syncmaster LCD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Goozex, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Goozex macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forums and I have an issue with my current mac and monitor. I own the following:

Macbook
    - Processor: 2/16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    - Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    - Graphics Card: GMA 950

Monitor - Brand New
    - Samsung SyncMaster 2253lw
    - Online Retailer said it was Windows/Mac compatible
    - Startup disc with drivers is windows only, dont know if I need any of that

I hooked everything up and used the mini-dvi to dvi connector, and it works grand. The problem I have is that I can only I use my laptop monitor and the display in dual mode to have my samsung run at full 1680x1050 resolution. If I mirror it, (my goal is to not use the LCD on the macbook) the Samsung runs only at my macs highest end of graphics which is 1280x800.

I would appreciate any help from someone that could help me finish my setup or let me know anything I am doing wrong. I just want to use my external Samsung monitor as my screen and have the resolution be max for the monitor.

Thanks!

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

you have to use an external mouse and keyboard to do what you want.

you'd out your onboard display to sleep, then wake it up with the external keyboard/mouse.

3. Goozex thread starter macrumors newbie

I currently have an external mac mouse and keyboard (both apple brand) connected through a usb hub. The external monitor and keyboard and mouse are working great, the issue im having is that I can't

A) Close my laptop and continue working on my external monitor (do i need to prevent it from sleeping when closed?)

B) Run my external monitor at its max res 1680x1050. With my laptop open, I have both screens showing identical images because im Mirroring them. I would like to run my External at a higher res than 1280x800 which is the max res on my macbook. :(

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Close the lid on the MacBook with your external KB and mouse plugged in. When it goes to sleep, wake it up with the external KB and mouse, you will now be in running in clamshell mode... the MacBook's screen will not turn on until you put it to sleep again and wake it up with the lid open.

5. Goozex thread starter macrumors newbie

iToaster,

You are a god, and I love you for it. Thanks for the advice! Works great! Much love man! :)

6. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

just itoaster? ... :(

7. Goozex thread starter macrumors newbie

Your right Drum,

Im sorry, I actually miss-read your explanation and Im the idiot that couldnt figure out what you meant. So much love to both of you! Your explanation makes sense after I did it and understand it. Thanks!

8. alanswalker macrumors member

Just bought the same setup

Hey dude,

The way the other have described works well but i found it annoying and discovered another option.

Open you macbook hit the power button and then close the lid, the computer will fire up but the internal monitor wont, instead you external display will start in the highest resolution.

Enjoy!