Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idonotliketostu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I want to connect my macbook to my 20" widescreen

So I plugged in my monitor into the mini dvi
Then I go to settings - display - arrangement

I move the larger screen onto the left side and the dock as well

I just want to use my display.
How do I set this thing up so that the lcd on my macbook is shut off?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
To use the external screen and shutoff the internal, you must have a keyboard and mouse attached. Close the lid. Then after sleeping, hit a key on the keyboard and only the external screen will be on, then if you want to you can open the MacBook and use the internal keyboard and mouse without the screen turning on. There may be a utility to do it without sleeping, but I'm not aware of any.

TEG

Hustle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
USA
Or, shut down the Macbook, connect the monitor, turn on the macbook and close the screen quickly... wait until the log in screen appears and then open the Macbook. The screen will not turn on. This is called 'desktop mode'.

idonotliketostu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Or..you could just turn the brightness down on the MacBook if you're going to leave the lid open.

If you want to close the lid, do this: How to use your MacBook with the display closed

You are refering to extended mode correcT?

Extended mode is annoying because if you move your mouse too far to the end of the screen, it gets lost on the other screen.

Mirroring doesn't do a good job because on my 20", its just an upscale of the resolution on the macbook.

idonotliketostu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
SO...

If you want to use an external display and
doesn't want:

The annoying extended mode
The ugly upscaling

You must have a separate keyboard and mouse to
wake up the computer when its sleeping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.