Setting up MacBook Pro as temporary FTP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Flint-Paper, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Flint-Paper macrumors newbie

I have a large set of files I need to have transferred to me (about 7GB) and I need them before I leave for the holidays, so posting a high-density DVD won't work. I would like to set up my computer as a temporary FTP that my colleague could transfer the data to.

I've set everything up according to most of the help files I can find online. It's pretty straightforward, but my colleague still cannot connect to my machine.

I'm running a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard.
    FTP sharing is on.
    I've set up port forwarding for port 21 (I am connecting wirelessly through a router).
    Firewall is open for FTP sharing.
    I've set up a user account for my colleague.

Still, he can't access it. He is, however, only using the Connect to Server option under the Go menu in Finder.

Not sure what the issue is here. I've even set up a DynDNS domain and have the DynDNS updater.

I'm at the limits of my technical know-how here, and any help or advice would be appreciated.

2. mrbash macrumors 6502

If using the Connect to server option, are you specifying the FTP protocol in the address box?

Generally, I prefer to use FileZilla for FTP transfers, and failing that, terminal. They are a bit more transparent about the errors they receive.

One last thing to check, is that the IP address of your MBP matches the IP that your router is forwarding port 21 to.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Yes, i'd say your primary culprit may be port forwarding.

http://portforward.com/ for help with this and by all means, especially with files that big, USE AND FTP CLIENT!