Setting up mail on MBP - confusion and questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iAttain, Jun 22, 2010.

1. iAttain macrumors member

I have a few questions about mail on my MBP and setting it up...

First of all, it has automatically selected POP3, how does this work? If I delete an e-mail on my MBP, will it delete it from the server (I am using hotmail)

Can I have more than one account on Mail and will I be able to switch between accounts easily?

I am getting an iPhone 4, on which I will also be setting up mail, will this cause any conflict?

Also, what is better, POP3 or IMAP?

How often does it sync?

As you can probably tell I am probably a bit of a noob when it comes to this lol, so pardon my ignorance :)

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. iAttain thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that link sums it up quite concisely :)

Is it possible to change my settings on mail now? It is still syncing a couple of thousand e-mails, I really need to be more organised.

4. iAttain thread starter macrumors member

Also, to make things more confusing, my second account is listed as Exchange 2007 by Mail, is that POP3 or IMAP?

I set up Mail to consolidate all my e-mails but now I am apprehensive to use it until it is fully sorted and it is all IMAP...

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hotmail only support POP3. There is a workaround to get it to support IMAP though.

You may want to add folders so they are better organized

6. iAttain thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that, I will be making quite a few smart folders.

So I am correct in thinking that with POP3 all my mail is downloaded to my MBP and there is no interaction with the server after that? - Which is a really useless way of keeping my e-mails sorted I think.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, POP3 downloads them to your computer. Why do you think that it's useless? If MBP is your main computer, it's just fine. If you want IMAP, see my link above

8. iAttain thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, thanks for that link I think I may do that IMAP trick.

Useless because once I have my iPhone 4 and use my work computer nothing will be synced if hotmail uses POP3 so I guess it would be best to set up mail on my iPhone 4 as that is always available.

Also is it possible to set up a password to enter into mail? When family/friends are around and using my MBP I don't want them to read all my mail.

Finally, is exchange IMAP or POP3, do you know?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I get all my email to my iPhone too, don't know why (but not to my Hotmail account if I access it via browser), so POP3 works fine with Mac + iPhone

You can just create a guest account for them, so they cannot access your Mail. You can also put the Mail.app in password protected disk image so it asks for a password when opened (instructions)

I think Exchange is POP3, couldn't find any good info though (seems to be workarounds to get it IMAP though)