Setting up mixed Airport Extreme network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Arcsylver, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Arcsylver macrumors member

Hello everyone.

I was lucky and found a listing for a used AirPort Extreme A1354 model for incredibly cheap ($10).

My roommate is moving out and will be taking his horribly hacked Linksys wifi router with him thankfully. (he installed some firmware crack that makes it horribly unstable and I am convinced it is the core of our connectivity issuers we occasionally have here)

I plan to replace his hackbox router with the new to me Airport Extreme. This is what I need to connect to it.

1 x xbox 360 wired
    1x HTPC wired (Windows 7)
    1x HP Pavillion dv9000 wireless n (Windows 7)
    1x MacBook Pro 1.1 wireless g (until Airport extreme card us upgraded)
    1x iPad 2
    1x PowerBook G3 “lombard” wired occasionally (OS X 10.4)
    1x unknown Dell Laptop wireless g (windows 7)
    1x hp Pavillion ze4500 wireless g (windows XP Pro,may not be capable of WPA2)
    1x Generic Home built Windows PC wireless g (Windows XP Pro)
    1x WD 250 GB USB HDD via USB port for Time Machine purposes.

I am concerned about the mix of Wifi types as well as Operating systems in this network.

Anything I should look out for with this setup. The Dell Laptop and Generic XP Pro machine will be ging away at the end of April thankfully.

2. gramirez2012 macrumors 6502a

The only thing that I can think of to watch out for is that 802.11b devices will not be able to use WPA2 encryption. (with some exceptions).

3. Arcsylver thread starter macrumors member

Well I got the Airport this afternoon and immediately hit the wall so many Xbox 360 owners hit with it not connecting to Xbox Live.

After much fighting, cursing and pulling of hair I stumbled across the setting in initial setup for replacing an existing router. This setting essentially clones all settings from the existing network onto the Airport then instructs you to unplug your old router and plug in the Airport. Worked flawlessly!!!