Setting up modem/router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacHappytjg, Jan 4, 2009.

1. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

So basically i have a modem my old router died and this crappy windows box wont read the cd, and you cannot install on the mac. so right now i have a macbook up to the modem and was woundering if i can get my network up without using the cd on a mac?

2. epiphany macrumors regular

You'd get more help if you provided info on what brand/model of router you have. My experience with my mac was that I could configure using a browser and an ethernet connection. Most routers have default logins (look online) you can use until you reset the password. You could also likely use the cd in the mac, btw, and look for the readable .htm files.

3. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

What kind of router? All you basically need to do is configure the router (I'm sure that all router should have a special website like linksys) After you set the router up take the ethernet cord from the modem and plug it into the router where it reads "internet" after that unplug your modem's power cord and re-plug it back in and you'll have internet :).

4. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

Well i just connected it then made itself a wireless thing and then i put the router ip in my adress bar and worked from there, cause they usually tell u to install the cd and stuff, which didnt work. Regaurdless it was a dlink, now i just want to find out how to use the 5ghz feature.

5. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

The CDs suck any ways. They usually have bloated software (windows.. dont think many come with mac software) and are usually not needed.
    Just manually set it up by going to the routers ip (192.168.0.1)
    There is often a pdf manual on the cd that you can read.

6. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

Did exactly that my friend messed around in there and up and running is my internet and dlinks are friendly with ps3s unlike linksys.