Setting up my iPhone 6s Plus without sim.. Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anand953, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Anand953 macrumors regular

Hi all:

So finally I got my hands on my new iPhone 6s Plus space gray 64gb and boy am I excited.. It launched in Dubai today and I had pre-booked in one of the stores here. Went at sharp 12 am yesterday night after watching "the Martian" at a nearby cinema. Even though the movie was great, my mind was fixated to my watch as the time clicked away to reach 12 am..

Got my phone exactly at 12..

Now my main question - can we setup the phone without inserting a Sim ?? Currently I don't have a nano sim and I don't want to wait for another couple of hours. Have already waited till morning since I bought it yesterday night..

Attached Files:

2. iNinja08 macrumors regular

iNinja08

You may be able to through iTunes, but not over wifi without a sim installed. I tried that today but it wouldn't allow me to proceed without a sim. I believe I recall seeing an set up with iTunes option.

edit: google > http://www.gizmoadvices.com/how-to-activate-iphone-without-sim-card/

btw, please report back on if your device has a Samsung or TSMC A9, my 64gb SG simfree came with a sammy.

3. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Nope, need a sim to activate it, then the sim can be removed.

4. Anand953 thread starter macrumors regular

How do you identity whether it's Samsung or tsmc?

5. rsnhakan macrumors member

iNinja, so what if it's Samsung? Some people get worried if they have and exchange their phone.

6. Anand953 thread starter macrumors regular

Is it such a deal breaker to have one over the other?

7. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

no less means less battery life on the samsung chip

8. iNinja08 macrumors regular

iNinja08

oh, just curiosity if the sim frees are going to come in the tsmc variant, or if they will all be sumsung A9's. people can figure out what they want to do either way.
    no, apple claims a 2-3% variance in battery life, but doesn't specify which A9 has the greater.

9. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

My sim-free model came with the Samsung Chip and my battery life is great.

10. Anand953 thread starter macrumors regular

Finally got my phone workong and installed.. Opted out the iCloud backup and instead did the setup for this phone as new.. :)