Setting up NAS, really want to use Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tralmek, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Tralmek macrumors member

My business partner purchased this NAS for us before reading fully about it. Now that I've read about it more thoroughly, it seems we won't be able to use it with an Airport Extreme router without using the FAT format. Is that a correct assumption? Does this mean I should be looking at router options other than the Airport Extreme, or is there a way to force this NAS to format to HFS+?

Our intention is to set it up as a RAID 10 with four 3TB disks and using the fifth disc as unprotected storage. It is my understanding that the Extreme will only address HFS and FAT while the NAS will only format to FAT or NTFS, leaving me in the position of either using FAT and the Extreme or going with a different router and using NTFS. I'm hoping someone can give me a 3rd option that allows the use of and Airport Extreme plus the NAS without using FAT.

We'll have 4-6 Windows 7 Ult machines accessing the NAS and 3-4 Macs running 10.5-7.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

That Synology works great with OSX, Windows, Linux... Just plug it in to one of the Extremes LAN ports and you're good to go. Format using Diskstation software to EXT4.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yep :). Works great. For 10.7 Lion compatibility, install the beta 3.2 DSM software from the Synology website.

4. Tralmek thread starter macrumors member

Oh, excellent! That's good to hear. Thank-you for the quick replies.