Setting up network password on airport

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by abailey21, Oct 1, 2008.

1. abailey21 macrumors newbie

Listen guys I'm not a total newb I know how to use search but I cant find jack squat on just password protecting my network in any of these threads even though I know its probably been posted 20 times before.

I have Verizon Fios which uses a WEP password, I know this because I called them tonight figuring they could help...no joy from verizon, they said call Apple and gave me my SSID and WEP password.

So here I am running Mac OS X 10.4.11 with the built in Airport software and I can't for the life of me set up my existing wireless network with a password, the Verizon guy said I had 4 computers running off my network and I only have 2 in the house right now and I want to secure my network, any assistance out here?

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I don't use FIOS, but I've read Verizon provides you with their own wireless router. You should be able to access this router via your web browser (usually by typing http://192.168.1.1 or possibly a different address) and then signing in with the appropriate login/password for the router.

Call up Verizon again because they should give you this info.

The SSID and WEP password is only to access the internet through the router, but you need the proper address, login and password, to access the router's settings.

If there is an option, I suggest using WPA instead of WEP since it is more secure.

Do you have other devices (iPhone, TiVo, video game console) that could be access the router along with your 2 computers?