Setting up new Airport Extreme With Comcast

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ABR173rd, Mar 1, 2014.

1. ABR173rd macrumors newbie

I just bought a new Airport Extreme and I am currently running off of Comcast Infinity using the Surfboard SBG6580 modem and router. I want to run the SBG6580 as just the modem and use the Airport Extreme as the router so I get an extended wireless signal.

I have tried to set this up myself and can't seem to get the setup going. I've also followed a couple online threads and still nothing.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. COrocket macrumors 6502

I assume the router works without the airport extreme connected? Can you not connect to the router? Or just the internet? All that is required is an ethernet cable running from the modem to the WAN port on the extreme. Then use the airport utility on your computer/iOS device to set up the wireless signal. Sometimes the modem and router have to be powered on/off once the ethernet cable is connected to recognize each other.

3. Alrescha, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014

Alrescha macrumors 68020

You want the cable modem in "bridge mode". I am not familiar with that particular modem; if you are renting it you may have to ask Comcast to do this for you. Essentially you are turning off its Wi-Fi and NAT functionality.

Once that is done, you want to verify that the Airport Extreme is not in bridge mode, as you want it to be your router. This is its normal state, but if you have made changes you will want to undo them. Note that the cable modem will probably only bridge the first device it sees - so if that was something other than your Airport Extreme you may need to reboot it once you have things set up properly.

A.

4. ABR173rd thread starter macrumors newbie

I have done all of that, the Comcast mode/router works fine by itself, once I hook up the Airport Extreme it shows up on the wifi settings but you can not access the internet while using it. I have tried a couple different steps to included cutting off the wireless broadcasting by the router/modem and still doesn't work. I don't think it makes a differences but I am using windows based PC's to connect not Apple products.

5. COrocket macrumors 6502

Did you run airport utility for PC in order to set up the router? it is a useful tool for diagnosing any connection issues. http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1547

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

What are you using to configure the Airport Extreme?
    Apple has this: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1547
    But, it seems to be a little finicky to work with the Extreme AC model.

Anyway, I think you need to get at the settings for the Extreme, and the best is using a Mac, with the current Airport Utility.

You can also use an iPhone, or other iOS device - http://www.apple.com/airport-extreme/#setup

7. dc52nv macrumors member

Are you renting the modem/router from comcast? If so, get your own modem for around $50 that doesn't have a built in router and return the rental unit back to comcast. That way you can use your own router with your modem and save on comcast's monthly rental fee.