Setting up new iMac from old MBP

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mdwsta4, Nov 3, 2015.

1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

I'm looking to purchase a new 21" retina iMac to replace my 2011 MBP. Since I started using macs in 2002 upgrading to a new one is painless as I simply connect the two devices and transfer all the information from the old computer to the new one. Very seamless.

After 3 upgrades over the past decade I feel there is a ton of wasted space and old data that gets transferred in the process. With the new computer I was looking to set it up from scratch and simply transfer over individual applications (iTunes library, PS, etc). Is this also as simple as dragging and dropping from the old computer to the new? If so that seems pretty easy. My biggest question then would be in regards to my photos as I currently have 3 different photo libraries (iPhoto and 2 different Photos). In terms of syncing with iTunes I seem to always have problems and I'm guessing it's because iTunes is searching through 3 libraries trying to figure out what all to sync.

Any advice/suggestions from people who have set up a new computer from scratch rather than from a backup of an old machine?

Thanks!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well your best bet is to use migration assistant you can choose which folders to move accross.