Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trix10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Hello all, we have a new iPad 3 which we have had for a week or so now. When i set it up, i chose the option to set it up as new and it was all done wirelessly (No need for iTunes)

Now a week later, i've decided i want to put some photo albums from iPhoto on there. I've plugged the iPad into the mac, and iTunes is asking me to set up the iPad as new, or restore from a backup (Only showing old iPhone backups)

What do i do? I already set it up as new when i turned on the device ages ago, and now i'm being asked again! If i set it up as new in iTunes, will it erase everything?

My partner has lots of games/apps on there that she has got far on, or lots of information so i don't want to lose anything/everything.

Thanks for any help :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
All your partners apps are safe, and are locked to his / her iTunes ID, so re-setting your iPad when connected to your Mac will erase them, yes, but they are easily retrieved.

When you choose setup as new, iTunes will make a backup of your iPads current configuration etc. It's wise to setup new devices connected to iTunes for the initial setup. From then on, wifi sync can be used. Your issue is that iTunes has no data with which to work yet.

If you have separate devices and iTunes Id's, it becomes a little more complicated. If your partner has their own Mac, or if you share all apps allocated to that Id, then I would go ahead and setup as new, You can then go to the "Purchased" tab in the iTunes store, and download all apps associated with that account.

Trix10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
I thought as much, but thats also a pain in the butt, why offer the option to setup as new without connecting to iTunes, if it's going to ask me to do it again further down the line when i connect to iTunes? Doesn't make sense really.

So what about her game data? I know she can re download apps, but she will lose all her saved data right?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I thought as much, but thats also a pain in the butt, why offer the option to setup as new without connecting to iTunes, if it's going to ask me to do it again further down the line when i connect to iTunes? Doesn't make sense really.

So what about her game data? I know she can re download apps, but she will lose all her saved data right?

I'm afraid so yes.....Apple really should make this clear...initial setup for iPad and iPhone should always be done using a physical connection, and (my personal choice) is to store the backups On my Mac, not the cloud, although either way will work, I'm just old fashioned. You could always email Apple as many have and make your feelings known...

http://www.apple.com/contact/

The more folks do this, the more likely they are to take notice.

Trix10

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2011
Ok, well thank you for your information, at least i know in future, but doesn't look like i will be connecting it up to the mac anymore if i will lose my saved games data :)

Thanks anyway

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Hello all, we have a new iPad 3 which we have had for a week or so now. When i set it up, i chose the option to set it up as new and it was all done wirelessly (No need for iTunes)

Now a week later, i've decided i want to put some photo albums from iPhoto on there. I've plugged the iPad into the mac, and iTunes is asking me to set up the iPad as new, or restore from a backup (Only showing old iPhone backups)

What do i do? I already set it up as new when i turned on the device ages ago, and now i'm being asked again! If i set it up as new in iTunes, will it erase everything?

My partner has lots of games/apps on there that she has got far on, or lots of information so i don't want to lose anything/everything.

Thanks for any help :)

Just click "set up as new" and iTunes will accept your iPad without changing or deleting anything. Yeah, it confused me the first time too, Apple needs to fix this. It's just a glitch from when they moved to computer-less setup, somebody didn't think through how to deal with an iPad that had been already setup but was syncing with a computer for a first time.

Cordilleranbeef

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
I have a problem setting up my iPad too. Ever since I clean installed lion (not mountain lion), I keep getting this error message on iTunes "cannot establish secure connection with this iPad". Now I can't sync it. My iPhone 4 syncs well. Both JB. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.