Setting up new iPhone on different number

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdsvtdriver, Sep 25, 2013.

1. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

I received my new 5S today. I'm unsure how to activate it on my number as I used someone else's upgrade to obtain the device. I'm sure others have done the same thing, so what did you do?

The person whose upgrade I used is not here until Saturday, so I cannot simply activate the new phone on their number and swap SIM's (they're getting my old iPhone 5). Turning on the 5S with my SIM didn't do anything. It still had the other # and wanted to activate.

AT&T didn't know how to handle the situation. They "unparked" the device from the account used to upgrade. 5S still wanted to activate with upgrade's phone number. They wanted to tie the new SIM to my account and see what would happen, but then that meant I'd have to go to the AT&T store to get another SIM for the 5, so I told them no and left everything as it was.

Only thing I can think of is restoring my 5 to the 5S to get rid of the activation "wizard", if that would even work... and put the 5's SIM in it. I assume then I'd have to call to get the 5 and the unused SIM from the 5S tied to the upgrade's account.

Anyone else dealt with this successfully? :confused:

2. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

This is basically identity theft.

3. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

It's only identity theft if he did it with the other person not knowing.

4. anonnymouse macrumors regular

(edit)

my error. I missed a detail in the original post.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The information below was included on an order status e-mail. I used it successfully to do a cross upgrade but both phones were on my account. I don't know if it will do what you want it to but it's worth a try.

Important Note
    To assign your new phone to a number other than the one that qualified for an upgrade, call 800.331.0500 from a phone other than the one you are about to activate. Next, enter the wireless number that you used to place your order, then press 2 to finish the activation with a representative.

Edit: I know you already spoke with AT&T but I'd just call this number and go through this process and see what happens. :)

6. sdsvtdriver, Sep 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

sdsvtdriver thread starter macrumors 65816

Called ATT Enterprise support. Got squared away. :)

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Still shows the other number. Won't activate. After being on the phone with both AT&T and Apple, I give up. Over it.