Setting up new iPhone SE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appletvbob, Mar 30, 2016.

1. appletvbob macrumors member

Should I backup my soon to be replaced 6 to iTunes? Or, set it up from the last iCloud backup? I can't remember which is better.

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

In almost all cases, using a WiFi or USB iTunes backup / restore is going to be faster than iCloud. Just make sure you have the latest iTunes loaded that supports the iPhone SE before you do your last backup of your iPhone 6.

Dave

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I always restore from iCloud. It takes maybe an hour for everything to load (photos,etc).

4. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I always make a encrypted backup on the computer that I have all my music collection on. Restoring only takes a short period of time and you are ready to go with all you passwords and music intact. Been doing this for a long time with zero problems.

5. Rigby macrumors 601

I'd also use iTunes, because it's much faster. Make sure to enable encryption, otherwise some sensitive data such as saved passwords and activity tracking won't be included:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205220

6. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Didn't know that about encrypted backups.....I've always used unencrypted......thanks, guys!

7. dave006 macrumors 68020

Just a reminder concerning backups: always chose an encrypted backup when using iTunes and always remember the password! You will need the password later for any restore.

Dave

8. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

9. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I'm probably on my own on this, but I personally prefer to start from scratch with new phones.

It gives me a chance to revisit settings I've long stopped thinking about, clear out apps that have been collecting dust and just get a fresh feeling and start on a new device.

Maybe it's all nonsense and placebo, but I highly enjoy the process actually. It's part of the "new phone" experience for me every time.

10. dave006 macrumors 68020

For day to day backup, yes iCloud is most convenient, however for phone swaps as this thread is discussing, a local iTunes backup is going to in almost 99% of the cases be the fastest and most convenient. :eek::eek:

Dave

11. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

12. dannyar macrumors 6502

13. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

I blame being tainted by the old Windows days, where restoring a new device from a backup from another one was never a good idea :D

14. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I tend to keep my phone in order and if I do not use an app, I get rid of it. I know people with hundreds of apps which is plain stupid. No way they are all being used. Just keeping up with the updates is a waste of bandwidth!

15. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

I can speak to this too. Considering the fact that all the important stuff is saved in iCloud outside of a backup (contacts, photos, notes, calendars, reminders, whatsapp chats, and so on) it doesn't really matter whether you do a full backup/restore or not. Unless you want to keep all those useless apps that you downloaded but never used.

16. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Where is Health Data?
    iCloud?

17. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

You've got me there, that's the notable exception where it's always on device and can only be saved with an encrypted backup. That's the one thing I always forget about too.

18. appletvbob thread starter macrumors member

Seeing as my phone arrives tomorrow I'm going to backup up the 6 to iTunes as a fail-safe, but setup the SE via iCloud. I have the time...

19. Z3man macrumors 6502a

If i do an encrypted backup, will it put all the saved passwords on my macbook on to my phone, or only the passwords saved from a previous phone.

20. lugworm macrumors 6502

lugworm

The only apps on my phone that I want to delete are the ones apple see fit to infest the phone with. The very ones you can't delete.

21. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

On every iPhone I'm forced to have a folder called "crApps" for those.

22. BentTable123 macrumors member

I backup to both icloud and itunes before changing phones, then I do a restore within iTunes. If it weren't for a couple apps that I want the old version, I wouldn't even restore backup. I'd just sign into icloud and then download all the apps from the appstore I want.

23. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Going from a 4 to my SE, I did local backup and restore. The restore only took two minutes.

24. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

Am I right in saying that iMessage history is only brought across with a restore from backup and starting the phone from new will result in no previous conversations being available? This is different to how WhatsApp works which stores (and restores) history from iCloud?

Kind regards, Alec

25. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

Nopes. Even with encrypted backup, health data is not restored.