Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickeames

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
So I got my wife a new iPhone 12, coming from her 8+. We did the backup, and then went to do the install on the new phone. We got to the part where she put in her Apple ID and it then put up another question to know the code for logging into her old phone. Then proceeded to continually tell us that, nope, that wasn't it. It had done this to me and then corrected itself after giving me more options for devices to pick a password for, but in her case, it's always asking me for her iPhone code, and she's only had one. I called Apple and they told me to wait an hour. :|

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue setting up a new phone before? I usually get things setup quite quickly and this is a bad look particularly for a wife who looked askance at me for getting her a new phone....

mcdawg

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2015
So I got my wife a new iPhone 12, coming from her 8+. We did the backup, and then went to do the install on the new phone. We got to the part where she put in her Apple ID and it then put up another question to know the code for logging into her old phone. Then proceeded to continually tell us that, nope, that wasn't it. It had done this to me and then corrected itself after giving me more options for devices to pick a password for, but in her case, it's always asking me for her iPhone code, and she's only had one. I called Apple and they told me to wait an hour. :|

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue setting up a new phone before? I usually get things setup quite quickly and this is a bad look particularly for a wife who looked askance at me for getting her a new phone....
Yes. You’re not alone. None of my three boys’ new Apple Watches can be set up today, because of issues verifying passwords in the setup process.

And there’s another thread around here that has a bunch more people with the same problem.

Apple killed Christmas.

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
There's a huge thread about this in the Apple Watch forum. People have had success with changing the passcode on the second device before trying to set up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.