Setting up new Mac Pro (any tips?)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mrt209, Jan 26, 2011.

1. mrt209 macrumors 6502

According to Fedex, I'm getting my Mac Pro tomorrow :D

It's my first MP, so am wondering if there's anything I should consider when I'm setting it up. I bought a SSD from OWC so going to use that for my boot drive. I'm doing a clean install, so I'll just be transferring my files from my iMac.

When I set up the MP, should I just install OS X on the SSD or should I move the user folders to the 1TB disk? Is it a good idea to partition the SSD and install Windows 7 on it as well?

Also, in what hard drive bay should I place the SSD?

Thanks for your help :)

2. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

The home folder issue has been beaten to death here. FWIW, I left my home folder on the SSD boot and haven't seen a need to change that configuration. YMMV.

JMO, if you need Win 7 put it on a separate SSD/drive!!!!!!!! There are a couple different methods of doing this. Do a search for details. I would think about using the stock HD as the place to put win 7.

I would just clone the boot drive to the SSD myself. There are several free programs that can do this operation.

congrats on the new MP.
    JohnG

3. snouter macrumors 6502a

I usually do a clean install and skip the printer drivers and the language packs.

I move my dropbox default folder to a platter hard drive.

Same with my Kindle software.

The above could yield a solid 3-6GB in space savings.

4. mrt209 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies :)

I also delete all the language packs and other unnecessary stuff using cleanmymac.

I think I'll just install OS X on the SSD and then I'll partition the 1TB disk and use it for storing my music and movies as well as for Windows 7. Later on when I have money again (spent all on mac) I'll buy a few more hard drives for time machine and windows.