Setting up new MacBook Pro retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by case2001, Apr 18, 2013.

1. case2001 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I just purchased a new 15 inch retina MacBook Pro. I have 2006 MacBook Pro that has Office a Drafting program and my user files. I usually just uninstall and reactivate my office and drafting program and transfer my users files from old machine to a new one. Is this the easisest safest way to transfer over? Would I be better served to Migration assistant?

Thanks for your help!

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If you like the way your old Mac is set up, just use migration assistant.

3. case2001 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. Thanks. As I understand it, it will transfer Microsoft office and my drafting software as well? Thanks again.

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

It is suppose to, but you may need to re-enter registration codes or reinstall the apps. Office generally is OK. Rule of thumb is to try migration assistant and then verify the apps continue to work right. Resolve issues on a case by case. The worst case is to reinstall the apps.

What OS is running on the 2006? If its not mountain lion you could run into some incompatibilities to sort out.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I usually just copy stuff over manually. Migration Assistant is useful but some things might get copied over correctly or stuff missed.

6. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

You may also try Carbon Copy Cloner and pass everything from the old to the new mac.

7. case2001 thread starter macrumors 6502

Carbon copy safe to use going from my Air with Snow Leopard to my Retina with Lion?

Thanks

8. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

If you are copying the apps and your data, you should not have problems.

9. case2001 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I will do one of above and post back on results.

10. case2001 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok,

So I am typing this happily on my MacBookPro Retina 15". I decided on Migration Assistant. It work perfectly. All apps and data transferred over without incident.

I should note, however, that it created a new user account on the machine with my information and apps. This was no problem for me. I simply deleted the account I used to activate the the machine originally and kept my newly transferred account as my main account.

Thanks for all the replies.