Setting up New MacBook Pro with

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jephotog, Nov 23, 2014.

1. jephotog macrumors newbie

I just ordered a new MacbookPro 15 512GB SSD, 2.5.:D

First Mac in this century for me. I was sick and tired of wearing out my laptops and when I looked at high end PC laptops I was looking at comparative prices, so I am back to the world of Mac.

I do plan on setting this up with base camp to access some of my PC only software titles. When my new baby arrives on Wednesday how should I set it up to take advantage of my SSD with two OSes and maximize storage?

I have SSDs on my two desktops and use them strictly for the OSes. I am under the impression you do not want to write, re-write on SSDs repeatedly. How best should i use thumb drives and external hard drives to treat my SSD correctly?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Read this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6459/samsung-ssd-840-testing-the-endurance-of-tlc-nand

And start using your computer as it should be used: as a tool. Your computer will be rendered obsolete by future software before you succeed in wearing out your SSD.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

OP> snaky69 is right on target there. Don't sweat it and just use the computer however you want. Another test here. That SSD will very likely still be working long after you have moved on to a newer Mac.

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

In fact, you actually want to use your computer heavily when it is new, so that if there is a defect, it would be more likely to come within the warranty. Do extensive GPU stress tests, do RAM tests, play games a lot, run a Minecraft server 24/7, etc :D

5. jephotog thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. This link made more sense to me than the other which went way over my head. I have been using SSDs on my other computers for a few years and I was told to configure in ways to prevent premature failure of the SSDs.

I will probably use an external for my photography portfolio and use the SSD as I would normally. My new Mac should be waiting for me when I get home.