Setting up new machine from Time Machine backup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryan101, Aug 14, 2014.

1. ryan101 macrumors member

Hi All,

I just bought a new MB Pro. And during the setup process it gave me the option restoring data etc from another Mac or PC. So I chose to restore my data, apps and settings. My old machine was a 2012 Air. This new one is the current Pro. Anyway I was thinking, I assume the new MB Pro has the latest version of the OS plus latest versions of all the standard apps. Now, I am wondering will it replace the new apps with the old ones and will it replace the new OS with the old one? I hope not!

Does anyone know?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you are talking about the import process during system setup, you will be fine. That just moves over settings, apps, and data and not the OS. It is smart enough not to replace new apps with old.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

When I did this, I moved over as little as possible and reinstalled stuff as needed. After 4-5 years, I know I have loaded lots of junk and I am sure lots never got deleted right.

4. ryan101 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys specially Weaselboy, it's exactly what I wanted to hear.

I had a lot applications some of which I didn't have the original installation files for some time machine saved me many hours.