Setting up new MBP, Mail help needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hah116, Aug 4, 2007.

1. hah116 macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2007
    Ok, I just received my new MBP yesterday and I am having trouble getting some of the application settings the way I want them.

On my PowerBook, inside the Mail application, there is a Mailbox for Trash with a trash can icon next to it.

When I opened Mail on my MBP (after setting up my account), all I had was an Inbox and Sent mailbox. I figured out how to get the Junk mailbox to appear. But I cannot figure out how to get the Trash to show up. I have tried deleting messages, but they just disappear and I can not get them back.

EDIT: Suddenly it just SHOWED up... too weird.

Also, when I searched my messages within Mail, I searched "ebay" and it came up with no results when there were clearly several messages in my Inbox. All Mailboxes and Entire Message were selected. When I type the same thing with the same options selected on my PowerBook, results are shown. I know I am using two different versions of Mail 2.1 and 2.1.1 but seriously, why would this have changed?

I am getting really frustrated trying to figure it out, so hopefully someone else knows what to do.

2. tico24 macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2007
    Eastleigh, UK
    When you're in mail, try pressing command + 5

This should show the trash.
  3. hah116 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2007
    I had tried that, and it said "No Mailbox Selected" at the top of the screen. The trash has now shown up after I right clicked the side bar and said Use Small Mailbox icons, it just appeared, then i changed them back to large and the Trash can stayed. What a dumb fix.

Still looking for help on the search options

Thanks for the advice though
  4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2004
    In the Preferences > Accounts > Advanced tab, there's an option to move deleted mail to Trash, or delete immediately. Try playing with those settings.

Edit; I see you're sorted :D