Setting up new MBP, Migration question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MiniD3, Mar 22, 2016.

1. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Hi Guys
    Have a 27" iMac as my main computer,
    Just bought a new MBP,
    Should I use the migration assistant to "mirror" my iMac or just start afresh and keep it cleaner?
    ........Gary

2. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

This is completely subjective. I personally love getting a new device and setting it up like a new device. It gives me a chance to purge stuff I don't need and change some things that tend to get forgotten, like backgrounds, account thumbnails, etc.

But having it transfer the data is going to be faster and could potentially save you some headache if you have a lot to configure.

3. austintg macrumors member

austintg

I definitely recommend starting fresh. I install new SSD's on about four macs per week and what I do is start new with the operating system and allow iCloud and keychain to fill in all of the necessaries like contacts, calendars etc. then move only those things that are important to their proper folders, install and log in to Dropbox of course, then you're all set. If there are folders with junk, I put that in a "go through" folder for my client.

If you are using iCloud, keychain, and Dropbox properly, there is hardly a reason for migration. But always keep your time machine backups up to date regardless.

4. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Tks, much appreciated
    .......Gary
    --- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2016 ---
    Thank you,
    Will not migrate at this stage and see how I go
    ........Gary

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I guess some folks just HAVE to have everything that's on the desktop, on the laptop as well.
    I don't.

My Macbook serves an entirely different purpose than does my desktop.

I let each of them "be their own Mac", so to speak.
    I don't keep anything more on the MacBook, than what I need...

6. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Sounds like a good plan!
    Ive decided to do the same
    ......Gary

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I'd just like to disagree completely with this. For me, with the amount of prefPanes and system modifications I've implemented over the years to make my system work exactly the way I want it to, it'd take me days upon days to do everything again. Apps would be a chore, too, but would be more manageable. It's just time that could be spent far better doing something else.

8. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Looks good so far,
    all contacts and all bookmarks synced
    only headache was setting up email, process was easy except hadn't used that password for god knows when,
    but finally remembered after a nights sleep ;)
    as for the apps, was a breeze, didn't want my huge LR catalog on the MBP, just want a separate one that is easily managed, if necessary, I can add it to the iMac, (apparently :))

.......Gary

9. austintg macrumors member

austintg

Sounds like OP didn't have many prefpanes. I've been using macs since 2000 and I only have two panes in addition to the ones that come with the system. What are you using?? Seems strange to me.

10. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Well, it's not so much the amount but the settings within them and other behind the scenes settings that can't just be enabled with a click. And specific settings within regular applications that I'd rather not do again. Karabiner profiles, too.

But I'll list my prefpanes since you ask: BetterTouchTool, Flash Player, Flip4Mac*, FunctionFlip, Java, LaCie Shortcut Button*, NTFS for Mac OS X, Perian*, Smart Scroll.
    I could probably do without the marked ones, but they're there.

11. austintg macrumors member

austintg

I fully understand where you're coming from! I used to use quite a bit of those too but just don't have the need anymore. I'm pretty weird too because I love going through and checking all of my settings and rotating my passwords haha. I may not be the best one to offer advice! But the Genius Bar loves me cause I never forget a password (and don't really care for 1password).