Setting Up New MBP (Sign in with Your Apple ID)

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by newyorkcity, Nov 20, 2014.

1. newyorkcity macrumors member

A week ago i bought an MBA 11" and one thing I noticed that I didn't like about it was my Apple ID and Password were what I used for my icloud account. On my Mac Pro, my computer has a different Apple ID and Password frm my icloud account and I prefer to have it setup that way if possible.

I returned the MBA 11" because it was too small and I have an MBP 13" now and I'm on the "Sign in with Your Apple ID" page. I see an option for "Use a separate Apple ID for iCloud and iTunes" but what is affected if I end up going with that option?

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

iCloud is tied to syncing your contacts, iCloud mail, calendar, notes, safari bookmarks. iTunes is tied to your iTunes account for purchases of music, videos, books and apps.

i personally have 2 different sign ins because i was an early mobile me adopter.

3. newyorkcity thread starter macrumors member

if I choose "Use a separate Apple ID for iCloud and iTunes" do i have the option to use an apple ID for iCloud later? I'm also an early mobile me adopter

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

yeah, just remember though that anything you are currently syncing is tied to the current sign in for iCloud. make sure you have all your contacts saved somewhere.

5. newyorkcity thread starter macrumors member

Hmm I guess the "Use a separate Apple ID for iCloud and iTunes" may not be what I want then..

With my Mac Pro my computer has its own login but its still linked to my Apple ID. So thats what I'm trynig to do with this Macbook Pro... I just dont want to use the same login as my icloud Apple ID but I do want to sync contacts/etc.. is there an option for this?

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

are you talking about admin login or iCloud login? if you want your MP to sync contacts with your MBP, you need to be signed in to the same iCloud account on both machines.

7. newyorkcity thread starter macrumors member

Maybe Admin Login is what I'm looking for?

on my Mac Pro I have stuff synced in iCloud but if the other login is Admin login then thats what I want.

What ended up happening on my MBA when I had it was my iCloud login was also the admin login so how do I separate the 2?

8. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

just to be straight, the admin login is just a password, this is set up when you configure your new device. you can also change it by going into system preferences -> users & groups. the iCloud login is username (email) and password. that is configured under system preferences -> iCloud.

9. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Ah! The new "use Apple ID as login password?" prompt/question on a newly setup Yosemite, with FileVault turned off, iirc.

Got that message when I upgraded my mother's Mac and accidentally set it to "yes".

So, can't recall all the screens/prompts, but I'd probably say "no" to everything and then turn on various iCloud & Apple ID stuff manually.

That way, yes, can have an ID/password for the computer that is different from Apple ID. And can have a separate Apple ID vs. iCloud ID, if wanting that too.

10. newyorkcity thread starter macrumors member