Setting up Parallels on SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nanohits, Feb 24, 2011.

1. nanohits macrumors regular

nanohits

Hi All,

I will be getting my 12 core Mac Pro on Monday and I just want to check how this process works.

Basically I will add the Extreme Pro 240GB from OWC. So this is what I plan to do.

1. Install MacOSX on the SSD
    OR can I transfer the OS form the Terrabyte drive that comes stock with the MP?
    2. Install Parallels 6.0, set up the Virtual drive
    3. Plan to transfer my current Win 7 64bit through the network. This is where I am a bit confused. If I do the migration, will it boot to this OS just like I had on my Windows 7 pc with all the programs in it retained and will work as if I had the old PC?
    OR do I just install a fresh copy of WIn 7 and install all my programs I had on my PC before? Prefer not if the other options works.
    4. Plan to use both my 30" Dell Monitors. Anything special I need to do here?
    Main goal here is to have MacOS on the one monitor and Win 7 on the other monitor. Not sure if this is possible or if I can only pull up an app in WIn 7 in one screen.

I would really appreciate some tips from resident experts on this whole process. Thanks for all your help.

2. tomllama macrumors regular

You can use Carbon Copy to clone your boot drive to the SDD.

I've not cloned via a network, but Parallels allows that just follow the directions to import you Win7 OS to the new virtual machine. You could also create a new Win7 installation for the new virtual machine from the DVD. In either case you will need to register the installation that you create with Parallels.

I created a boot camp partition on the SSD, loaded Win7x64 onto it and once it was running, created a Parallels VM that uses the boot camp partition. That way I can run native Windows too. (It a bit faster that way)

3. nanohits thread starter macrumors regular

nanohits

Oh OK, this is definitely a good options as native Windows will be better I reckon but if I do this will I still be able to use the dual monitors of Win 7 and MAc OS on the 2 monitors? Maybe not?