setting up "pass thru" wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ecreip, Jan 31, 2008.

1. ecreip macrumors newbie

hello

i have a place that i stay during the week, that has a wireless network set-up by former roommates of my current roommates. it consist of a cable modem from comcast, connected via a tp cable to an airport express that serves 5 computers (maybe more) in the house, as well as airtunes to the living room stereo, and is configured for wep.

some in the house like the set-up, but i dont. i would like to change it so that we are not all sharing the same wireless device, and so that i can increase security and thru-put. my idea is that i would get a home wireless router (like a linksys-g), and put it between the modem and the airport express..

--->cable modem--->wireless router--->airport express.

then the ppl who are happy on the airport wouldnt see any changes, i could attach to the wireless router via wpa2, and we could all see an increased "speed".

here are my questions:

1. is this possible with the available commercial wireless routers.
    2. is there any particular models that would be recommended for this type of application, or recommended against?
    3. are there any configuration issues that i need to be aware of
    4. is there a thread that has already discussed this. (i searched, but didn't find anything for this application).

thanks

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Airport Express has WPA2. The firmware should be updated for best performance. So just ask the person who set it up to change it to WPA2.

1. yes
    2. Linksys is fine, don't get netgear.
    3. If you are asking this question, you don't know how to set up routers, and chances are you might mess something up. If people have port forwarding set up on the Airport Express, they won't be happy if all of a sudden it stopped working.

If you really need to get another router, I would get Airport Extreme and put it on N-only mode and WPA2.