Setting up password after waking up my mac but not after screensaver?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cudo, Mar 14, 2009.

1. cudo macrumors regular

as in the title. i can set password after a wake up my mac and screensaver but i dont need to have pass after screensaver ? is there a way to set it only after waking up my mac ? software or a hack solution ? :confused:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Couldnt you set the screensaver to come on before the display is put to sleep? Or is screen saver also considered "sleep" ?

3. cudo thread starter macrumors regular

this is how it is in my case. i got the screensaver set to come up after 10 minutes and my mac is on most of the time so i dont want to input my pass every time the screensaver comes up but i want to have the pass when i put my mac to sleep and then wake it up say the next morning. at the same time i want to have my screensaver to be after 10 minutes of inactivity as, as mentioned before, my mac os on most of the time but im not always using it.

setting in preferences allows me only to set it to pass after waking up and screensaver, not only after waking it up.

Attached Files:

4. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Set screensaver to never.
    Set display to sleep @ x minutes.
    Set system preferences to require login at startup.

Screensavers are pointless today, shutting the display off is much more efficient.

5. cudo thread starter macrumors regular

thanks but this is not what im trying to do. i do not want my mac to go to sleep every X minuts i want the screensaver to come on every X minutes of inactivity. If i set my mac to go to sleep every X minutes and disable screensaver I will end up inputing my password every time i want to check something and my mac wont be able to download while im not around as it will be sleeping , not screensaved and this is not what i want. I want to have screensaver and I want to put my mac to sleep manually.

anyone else ? plz :(

Why are screen savers pointless ? my mac is plugged in to mains anyway.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Did you even try what I suggested?

-Set your screen saver to come on after 10 minutes
    -Set your display to go to sleep after an hour of inactivity
    -Leave the "Require Password to wake from sleep" box checked.

7. cudo thread starter macrumors regular

thnaks but if i do what you said i end up with having pass after my screensaver anyway. please read my post i dont want to have it after screensaver only on wake up.

there is no "require passowrd to wake from sleep" but "...from sleep or screensaver" only.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

9. cudo thread starter macrumors regular

maybe there is an 3rd party app letting me have password on wake up ? i have read there is but cannot remember the name or where it was.

10. TheVendor macrumors member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't apply when just your display is sleeping, does it? So couldn't you just set your screensaver to never come on, and instead have your display sleep after x minutes?

11. cudo thread starter macrumors regular

yes you are right i could do that but i want to have my screensaver to come on at ever X minutes and sleep me mac manually. why is everybody trying to persuade me to do something different then I really want :D