Setting up Plex

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slamd50, Mar 26, 2009.

1. slamd50 macrumors newbie

Ok so just to get it out of the way, I have read many threads and also the wiki on plex's site. However my problem is not addressed and i feel that it may be a simple fix....my issue is with assigning movies to there respective folder and getting them out of the video folder... i followed the directions on the wiki but when i go to "set content" there is no thumbnail on the left and the window to the right is blank and says none before the down and up arrows. From what i've gathered this is where my issue should be fixed. I don't know why my movies aren't coming up in this area so i can then assign them?!?!?... anybody else have this problem? am i just missing an easy step? I really like this software and would like to use it as at full potential so if anybody can help me i would really appreciate it!!!! Thank You

2. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

I THINK YOU HAVE TO HIT "C" WHILE YOU ARE IN IT(MOVIES, VIDEOS OR WHATEVER) BUT IM NOT FOR SURE ITS BEEN A WHILE SINCE I SET MINE UP AND IT BRINGS UP A MENU WHERE YOU CAN SET UP A NEW FOLDER

3. ethical macrumors 68000

When in the "set content" window, you need to click the arrows in the top right until the desired scrapper comes up. For movies use IMDB, for TV Shows use TVDB (i think thats what its called)

If your movies are arranged as:

--Movies
    -----"Movie name folder"
    ----------Movie.avi
    -----"Another movie"
    -----------Another movie.avi

Then you need to select the Scan Recursively box (this just means it scans down through all folders until it finds a movie. If you do this, dont tick "use folder names for lookups".

Hope this helps, any more questions just ask :)

Attached Files:

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Is there a way to add your own artwork? The stuff that gets pick is pretty crappy.

5. ethical macrumors 68000

yes you can.

i cant remember whether it says this in the Wiki or not, but to add your own artwork place the image in the same folder as the movie, and give it exactly the same name as the movie, and change the extension to .tbn
    you will have to go to "Get Info" in Finder and write the new extension in there for it to actually change, otherwise it will just be movie.tbn.jpg which wont work in plex.

if you add this artwork to the movie folders before you set your content then plex will use your images when it adds the movies, but if you add the images after the movies are in plex, then you have to either delete it all from plex and re-scan, or go through each movie and go to "Info > Thumbnail" - then down the bottom will be one called "Local Thumb", and that is yours. press 'i' to get the info menu up when on a movie.

Hope this makes sense.

I use this website for my artwork, very nice HQ images for loads of movies and tv shows.

6. slamd50 thread starter macrumors newbie

so thanks for the responses and i now have my movies all in the right folder and they got the artwork.. so i've moved onto my music, and i can get the artwork to pop up after i select each artist then each album.. but i was wondering if there is a way to get rid the ugly "mediastream" icons and replace them with some kind of band picture. possibly a step in scraping i missed? also last but not least how do u shuffle from different artists or even just different albums??? basically i'm looking for a coverflow-shuffle setup like in itunes....ps this is making the plex switch look even less attractive... 5.1 is the only thing thats keeping me determined to set this up