Setting Up Powerline Adapters

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacFanUK, Jul 23, 2010.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Today I received the Belkin 200Mbs Powerline Adapters that I ordered but I can't get them to work properly.

Here is what I'm trying to do:

Sky Modem -> Powerline Adapter -> Powerline Adapter -> Netgear Router -> Computers/Printers/etc.

The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to get computers connected to the netgear router to connect to the Sky Modem via the Powerline Adapters.

The Netgear Router was one provided with my old Virgin package but it doesn't have any Virgin specific settings on it.

I have tried connecting the powerline adapter (at the netgear end) to both the 'Internet' port and a normal ethernet port and neither seemed to work.

Can anyone please offer any advice?

Thanks

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Do the powerline adapters have any IP settings? It is common that you Modem's IP scheme matches one of your internal routers IP schemes. You cannot run two identical IP ranges within your network. So check to make sure that you aren't. Something as simple as changing 192.168.2.* to 192.168.59.* can solve a lot of headaches getting these sort of items configured.

TEG

3. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks for your reply. Not sure about IP settings on the adapters as I didn't get a user guide. I'll try and download one and have a look. I've already got the IP address set so the Sky Modem is 192.168.0.1 and the Netgear router is 192.168.1.1

Thanks again

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm assuming you've already done this, but just to confirm: Does the setup work if you just have an ethernet cable in place of the powerline adapters? That is:

Sky Modem -> Netgear Router -> Computers

I've set up a somewhat similar system using Netgear powerline hardware, and if memory serves they essentially are invisible to the network--when running properly it will appear as if the device attached to one powerline adapter is connected directly to the other.

So the first thing to do is confirm that your setup is working properly WITHOUT the powerline hardware. Once you know it is (and have confirmed you're plugging the router to the right thing), then add in the powerline adapter.

When one is talking to the other the "connection" light should be on (and, depending on which model, green--yellow indicates a slower connection, red a bad one if memory serves). If that light doesn't come on, either they're too far apart, on circuits that aren't bonded to each other, or there's some interference on the circuit that's preventing them from talking to each other.

If they're showing a connection but it doesn't work, I'd double-check the router settings or immediately carry the router back over to the modem and direct connect to make sure you didn't mess something up when you moved it.

A tip: Stuff plugged into power outlets can interfere with the Netgear adapters; when I had them on the same circuit as several computers (it was a small school's lab), it would drop the connection if more than 3 of them were turned on. Moved it to another circuit and it was fine.

5. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I think you need to have DHCP (e.g. your router) before your powerline, although I can't say anything for certain. I seem to remember I had a lot of issues with trying to connect anything without a proper DHCP server straight to the modem.