Setting up SSD and HDD on mid 2012 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Heavybarrel, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Heavybarrel macrumors newbie

Heavybarrel

Hello Everyone,

I'm getting a 8GB Corsair Vengeance (CL9, 1.35V), and a Samsung 840 EVO (250GB) for upgrading my mid 2012 Macbook pro. Are these a good buy? Any recommendations?

I want to set-up the OS on the new SSD, I want to start afresh, and do not want to clone my existing HDD.

[Also I will have you know that I'm just a Environmental Science student, who doesn't know much about computers, or in other words I'm just a "Noob", the only reason I'm using a Mac is because its 'uber' convenient to use, compared to Windows.]

Back on upgrading my Mac; I'm going to keep the HDD in the driver bay and replace the optical drive with the SSD. How would I go by the initial set up, where I get the OS on the SSD and perhaps format the current HDD - I think there is something goofy going on in there, and how could I sync both the drives together, so that I can use the HDD just for storage i.e. all the multimedia stuff, like Movies, Music, etc.

I'm hoping that someone could help me. Thanks.

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I presume you're getting a Data Doubler or some other kit for installing the drive in the Optibay?

As for installing OS X, the simplest (though not the fastest) is to use Internet Recovery and make sure it points to the SSD for the installation (I believe you get a choice, you do with installation from USB).

As for not doing a clone, you can choose not to migrate your stuff, or only your documents or only your applications. See here for Migration Assistant help.

3. meson macrumors regular

The first thing to do is backup your current HDD. You can use Time Machine (simple and built into OS X), Carbon Copy Cloner (a little more complex, but very reliable), or other backup software. You want to make sure you have a good backup in case something goes wrong along the line, or you delete files too soon.

After you install the SSD into the optical bay using the bracket (data doubler, optibay, etc.). You can reboot your Mac into recovery mode holding command+R during the restart. Choose your new SSD, and install a fresh copy of OS X (an accidental erase and install on the old drive will wipe the old drive, and 1 reason for the backup).

After the install, you should boot using the SSD. Install any software you want to install. Now you have a couple of options. Since you haven't wiped your old HDD yet, you can drag files over that you want to reside on the SSD from the HDD, or you could selectively place them on your SSD using Time Machine, or other backup software.

Now comes the time when you will rely on that backup. To make your old HDD just a storage disk without an OS, you will need to erase it. In order to get the files you want back into place, you will need to restore them from your backup.

You're going to enjoy the upgrade!