Setting up Synology DS212J HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by machomer, May 23, 2012.

1. machomer macrumors regular

Looking into this NAS and want to know what people recommend in setting it up. Do you partition the RAID1 into different volumes for Time Machine, Itunes for music, and photos?

From what I can tell on the Synology website, you create folders and not partitions?

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

You could do one for Time Machine but I wouldn't bother with any other partitions like for music or photos. You will end up creating a partition to small or to big for photos or music. It is better to just keep it all on one big partition and create a folder for each to share.

3. machomer thread starter macrumors regular

Would you suggest creating folders for Time Machine, Photos, and Music instead of partitioning? Whats the pros and cons, security?

Thanks

4. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

That's what I did, just created various folders for music, photos, work, misc, time machine, etc. Then go into media indexing service and select the folders you want indexed. You have to index your music folder if you want to use audio station.

I moved my iTunes library over to the NAS, but didn't use any predefined shares like music/video/photo. I just created my own shared folders and use those instead.

It mounts each shared folder as a drive.

5. machomer thread starter macrumors regular

What is indexing and what is the benefit of it? I'm not very technical.

6. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

Indexing the music folder allows audio station to find and use your music. So you can use the iOS apps to play music, or access your music over the Internet from any machine.

Indexing anything else allows for fast searches of files/folders. At least that's my understanding!