setting up the new TC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aicul, Jun 30, 2013.

1. aicul macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

Just got myself the new TC. Design is particular but after all this is a product I will hide somewhere.

Anyway I am writing about the AIRPort utility which seems to have a nice feature, it actually proposes to setup the new TC based on an exisiting TC that I actually plan to replace.

But here, I just question Apple thinking. It says, "configure new TC as xxxx (name of old) and reset xxxx to factory settings".

What went thru the minds of Apple, there is no garantee that the transfer will be ok, so why would I want to delete all the TimeMachine backups of the old TC.

Could thy not have simply asked for a new name for the old TC.

From there, it was heel to get Airport Utility to elt me configure the new TC. I eventually ended up unplugging the old TC to get things to start working.

What a fluke way to NOT help users.

2. Serban Suspended

This new time capsule/airport extreme there a reason NOT to work with windows xp wired or wireless?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It should work fine. The only problem for now is the current version of Airport Utility for Windows does not support the new device, so you won't be able to configure it. What you can do it use another Mac or iOS device to configure the device, then it will work fine with Windows.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I used the utility to replace the old TC with a new one. I started using the new TC for the wife's backup and I continued to use the old TC. I turned the old TC's wifi off and cascaded it from the new TC via ethernet. That lets me use the ethernet and USB ports on both units for computers and printers and use both TC;s HDs for Time Machine backups.

The utility worked like a champ for me.

5. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good and glad.

But what if it had not worked? Would have you been happy to have the old TC reset and backups deleted ?

The point is that backups are a pain to do, take a long time to build, etc. etc.

What is the purpose to "only" propose "factory reset" ?
    Could the utility not propose "remove from network" ?

I don't think it takes a lot of thinking that the Apple choice is great "only" when everything goes fine. But what if it does not ?

Anyway, why is it close to impossible to setup the TC on a network that already has a TC. I mean, can one not have 2 TC ? The utility continuously forces the replace. You are forced to switch the other TC off to setup the new. Nonsense !

etc.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Here is what the utility let me do.

Ethernet view

Internet source (cable modem)
    |
    | cat 5
    |
    new TC: backup for wife's rMBP, available ethernet and USB ports
    |
    | cat 5
    |
    old TC: backup for my rMBP, available ethernet and USB ports

Wifi view

Internet source (cable modem)
    |
    | cat 5
    |
    new TC: wifi for devices
    :
    : wifi
    :
    new Extreme: wifi for devices

Note the old TC is not part of the wifi network. It likely could have be used as an extender in another part of the house; however, I wanted access to its HD and ports via ethernet, not wifi.