Setting up Time Capsule as Router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cknut, Feb 2, 2009.

1. cknut macrumors newbie

No doubt this post may exist somewhere already, so someone please aim me there if it does. If not, then assistance is much appreciate.

I have TC and wish to establish it is my router. Into it will be plugged a PC running Vista (trust me...it's gone in four months to be replace by an iMac!). I have a Macair that will link up wirelessly. Currently I'm running a home network through a Netgear DG834GB and connectivity is good.

My DSL service comes from Deutshe Telekom via a DSL spliter. Therefore, I suspect the Netgear is working as my router and DSL modem.

My initial trials of setting up the TC as a stand-alone router and through the Netgear have been a failure.

1) Can I run the TC as a stand alone router connected to the DSL splitter or do I require the Netgear as my modem?

2) If I need the Netgear, I need someone to walk me through the steps to configure the TC to operate via Ethernet connected to the Netgear.

Regards, CK

2. tefleming macrumors 6502

If you wanted the TC to serve as your router, you might need some settings off the Netgear to determine how it's accessing your modem.

An easier way to do this would be to configure the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode to the netgear. Then connect your PC to one of the LAN ports on the Time Capsule.

The airport utility should detect and suggest Bridge mode during the setup.