setting up time capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iMarvin, Mar 20, 2012.

1. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Hey everyone, I'm setting up my time capsule to work with time machine at the moment. I have one question though.

Where should i point time machine to? I have two Data folders showing up in the selection window, both indicating that they are on my tc. But when i look in finder i can only find one data. :confused:

And isn't Data supposed to be the location where i store my other stuff?

Thanks in advance, Marvin.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

3. iMarvin thread starter macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Attached Files:

4. iMarvin thread starter macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Suddenly the top one changed its icon to a wifi looking stylish one, guess I'm meant to select that one. well well, il give it a try. :p

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Hmm... Strange indeed. You should only be seeing one "Data" in that list. How are you connecting to your Time Capsule? Are you hardwired or wireless (or both)?

The name that appears in that list is whatever name you gave to your TC's hard drive in AirPort Utility. It's not the name of the folder that the sparsebundle files (the TC backups) will be kept. There may also be a "Data" folder in on your TC's HDD (I can't recall and I'm away from home) where you can store data other than the backups, but that's something altogether different. If you want to avoid confusion, you can give the TC's HDD a different name, but it's not necessary.

----------

Another thought. Do you have your TC's HDD mounted on your desktop? That may explain the second "Data" as well.

6. iMarvin thread starter macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Changed the name on the disk to TC Disk instead, now both show the same icon. Guess that second one will show up after a while. Well ill wait and see. And no i don't have it mounted to my desktop, it is only visible via finder. :)

7. skorpien macrumors 68020

Are you connecting via Ethernet, Wi-Fi or both?

8. iMarvin thread starter macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Ethernet :)

9. skorpien macrumors 68020

That's good :) It's recommended to at least make the first backup using Ethernet as it will be quicker than Wi-Fi.

I was thinking that it may be that your AirPort is turned on in your Mac and you are connected to your Time Capsule's wireless network in addition to being connected with Ethernet. That could explain why the Time Capsule appears twice and why one has a Wi-Fi icon. I doubt it has any impact on the backup though, I was just thinking of a possible explanation. (If your AirPort is turned off, disregard this past paragaraph :p)

Hopefully your backups are running smoothly now. Enjoy your Time Capsule :)

10. LFMNX macrumors regular

I have seen two data folders paper before as well. However I do not know the root cause. I picked the bottom one.

11. iMarvin thread starter macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Found the problem, i signed in with my apple id on my router and set up back to my mac on it. So it found the same folder twice, one from iCloud and one locally.

To find the local one just hold your mouse pointer and it will show both paths, select the one that doesn't say iCloud in it and your fine. :p

12. skorpien macrumors 68020

Thanks for posting the solution! I don't have Back to My Mac so I wasn't aware that it does that, though that does make sense :) Glad you got it figured out.