Setting up two Airport Extremes question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stiloverx, Mar 11, 2014.

1. stiloverx macrumors regular

Hi Guys - I would like your opinions in a project that i am doing in a building.

I have a cable circuit with 5 public IPs available. Im using 1 public IP with 1 Airport Extreme. The Airport Extreme has a wireless network that is NATing a /24 network into 1 public IP (EX. 65.23.2.2) of my cable circuit (nothing out of the ordinary so far)

However, i want to install another Airport extreme with the same wireless network name and same internal network setup BUT with a different public IP (EX. 65.23.2.3)

I do not see a Roam Option in the airport extreme config, so im wondering if clients will be able to roam between Airport extremes/SSIDs. Im pretty sure it would work, since clients dont really care if the same SSID is using different public IPs to go over the WAN.

Just looking for some opinions..

Thanks

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

there is no roam option, if there are 2 stations with the same SSID, your clients will select the strongest signal.

why do you want to do this?
    it's going to cause problems, and there is more than likely a better way to do it.

but...
    anything that connects to one will not be able to connect to the other
    so :apple:TV on one network when the phone connected to the the other and try to airplay... :mad:
    or a computer one one network trying to print to a printer on the other network ...:confused:

but then you restart your device, and it works, or maybe it doesn't

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

As already stated, you can do this, but the two networks won't actually talk to each other..... If that is okay then go for it.

4. stiloverx thread starter macrumors regular

The purpose of this is just for clients to have outbound connectivity. No sharing, nothing, just plain internet. For what im trying to do, this should work.

Clients will pick the stronger signal (like you said) which makes sense.

Just thought there might be a hidden roam option on the airport extreme config.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

5. NukeIT macrumors regular

Are you paying for the extra IP's and just not using them??

Why not just extend one off of the other?? You can set it up the same way except the LAN of the first goes into the WAN of the second, with the first doing the DCHP addressing for the network

6. stiloverx thread starter macrumors regular

Im not paying for them.

Thing is that the two Airport extremes are in different locations on the building, and there is no smart jack that connects the two Airport extremes locations (I would need to run a long cat5e cable above the ceilings to connect the two Airport extremes if i want to go that way).

There is already two runs on each Airport extreme locations that go back to the Telco room where the modem is located (This is why im doing it this way)

Thanks for your thoughts.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

So why not switch the wire in the Telco room to the same switch? Running Cat 5e isn't hard and will be a better experience.

8. smellalot macrumors 6502

This might lead to problems for the users. Let me give you an example:
    when I come home talking via Skype on 3G with my iPhone and my iPhone switches to WiFi the call gets dropped, because suddenly my Phone has a different IP address. The same thing could happen to your clients.
    I'm no expert but this could affect other web services also.