Setting up two internet connections on a macpro server

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OCICILIONI, May 20, 2012.

1. OCICILIONI macrumors member

I would like to know how to set up two separate internet connections on a MacPro server.

I run a medical practice with 9 workstations that connect to a MacPro server for access to the database. They are fed internet connections through the office server network which is guarded by a firewall (Watchdog) for security.

My problem is that my unit only has access to a slow DSL with an upload speed of .4 mbs. Fiberoptic and cable connections are not available The download speed is 7 mbs, which is adequate for the workstations.

To connect to my office from outside locations utilizing a VPN or Log Me In type software, I need faster upload speeds, in excess of 1 mbs

I am wanting to use one port on the MacPro server for the office network, and the second to exclusively set up a VPN connection with a mobile hot spot, such as the Verizon or ATT 4G LTE. This would then be used to access the server from my home location.

I do not want to utilize the 4G LTE as my sole internet connection for the entire offices' 9 workstations, because the monthly data plans are limited to 5 GB.

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Do you have a firewall appliance, or is watchdog some software you are running on your Mac Pro?

3. OCICILIONI thread starter macrumors member

Re: Watchdog

Watchdog is the name of the firewall appliance that protects my network. It has its own software management system

4. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

5. OCICILIONI thread starter macrumors member

re: software

Yes. I have a 12 core MacPro running OSX Server with Lion.