Setting up Voice Mail Greeting PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by raster, Jul 29, 2008.

1. raster macrumors regular

I have a strange problem. I bought a new 3G Phone and gave my original iphone to my wife. AT&T Changed the sim card the phone seems to work fine.
    Then we realized her Voice mail Greeting was not set up, so you can not leave a voice mail. I checked, and followed the instructions which said to set up voice mail greeting, TAP Voicemail and a screen will come up. TAP greeting... Etc. Etc... THIS works on my new 3G iphone.
    Well, when I TAP voicemail on her phone, nothing happens. I mean, nothing happens. I restored software and the same result. Does anyone have an answer to this problem? If not, do you think I should go to AT&T or the Apple Store for the best help? Any help will do. Thanks

2. EglMtn macrumors member

Call AT&T

My wife's iPhone had this same problem. We activated an iPhone on my sister-in-laws phone number, and then switched the SIM cards and gave my sister-in-law my wife's old blackberry. When we selected the voicemail button the button would highlight, but the screen wouldn't change. I called Apple, and they transfered me over to AT&T. I thought this would be a software issue, but apparently it has to do with the data plan. I guess the visual voicemail is technically part of the data, and so when the SIM cards are switched something gets messed up. Just call AT&T and they will make you turn your phone off, and they fix something on the account, and then when you turn your phone back on it will work. The guy I spoke with said it wasn't an uncommon problem.
    Hope that helps.