Setting up w2W to use with CyberDuck

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by DyslexicArtist, Nov 3, 2008.

1. DyslexicArtist macrumors member

Hi, I'm trying to set up w2w to use with CyberDuck to make it easy to update my website.... I am having trouble identifying exactly what to type in to the set up areas.... Can I get some help using specific examples of what exactly the following means:

Name _______________________ (my website?? www._____.com)?

Folder ______________________ ?

Remote server ____________________? directnic?

Remote username __________________? my user name on directnic?

Password __________________? my password on directnic?

Remote Folder _______________ ? address?

I would appreciate specific " such-as" type examples, not descriptions
    thanks alot!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

w2w - who to who?

Anyways,
    • Name: My FTP
    • Folder: Not sure when it asks for this, but could likely be a local folder path, e.g. /Users/username/Sites (can probably leave blank)
    • Remote Server: yourdomain.com
    • Remote Username: Given to you by web host
    • Password: Also given by web host
    • Remote Folder: /htdocs (optional, usually blank)

3. DyslexicArtist thread starter macrumors member

Name _______________________ Do I type "my Ftp" here or something else... i need a specific example, since I don't know what my ftp really means....

Folder ______________________ ? - folder from where, what folder would they need. my desktop? directnic? how would i tell them what it is... need specific example...

Remote server ____________________? directnic? -- would this one be my webiste - www.________.com?

Remote username __________________? got it.

Password __________________? got it.

Remote Folder _______________ ?--- what does /htdocs mean? thats all I would put or would I identify it another way?

thanks for your answers.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

• Name: Anything. Think of it as a document name. It's just what you would click on to get connected. Like a bookmark.
    • Folder: As a said, I'm not really sure why it's asking this so I was only guessing. Just leave it blank if you don't know. The worst that can happe is it'll give you an error message, then maybe that will shed some light on it.
    • Remote Server: leave off that www, just use yourdomain.com (your website name). FTP uses a certain port so the server will know that you're accessing FTP and not the web site.
    • Remote Folder: The /htdocs was just and example of a folder. I don't know what folders may exist on your server so I can't supply anything specific. I advise leaving it blank for now.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

OK, I found out what that W2W is that you referenced before. You didn't describe what it actually was and that is what that program you were entering the info into rather than Cyberduck. Luckily all the information I gave before is the same. Though for Folder, it is asking for a local folder, the folder you publish to from iWeb. See the documentation page at the W2W web site, it has all the same info I gave you.

6. DyslexicArtist thread starter macrumors member

Super. I understand this now... I'll try it out and let you know... Thank you very much!!!